We hereby certify that we do not believe in or advocate the initiation of force as a means of achieving political or social goals.
We, the members of the Libertarian Party, hold that all individuals have the right to exercise sole dominion over their own lives, and have the right to live in whatever manner they choose, so long as they do not forcibly interfere with the equal rights of others to live in whatever manner they choose.
Governments throughout history have regularly operated on the opposite principle that the State has the right to dispose of the lives of individuals and the fruits of their labor. Even within the United States, all political parties other than our own grant the government the right to regulate the lives of individuals and seize the fruits of their labor without their consent.
We, on the contrary, deny the right of any government to do these things, and hold that, where governments exist, they must not violate the rights of any individual, namely:
- the right to life―accordingly, we support the prohibition of the initiation of physical force against others;
- the right to liberty of speech and action―accordingly, we oppose all attempts by governments to abridge the freedoms of speech and press, as well as government censorship in any form; and
- the right to property―accordingly, we oppose all government interferences with private property, such as confiscation, nationalization
Since governments, when instituted, must not violate individual rights, we oppose all interference by government in the areas of voluntary and contractual relations among individuals. People should not be forced to sacrifice their lives and property for the benefit of others. They should be left free by government to deal with one another as free traders; and the resultant economic system, the only one compatible with the protection of individual rights, is the free market.
What is the Libertarian Party?
The Libertarian Party (LP) is your representative in American politics. It is the only political organization which respects you as a unique and responsible individual.
Our slogan is that we are “The Party of Principle”, because we stand firmly on our principles.
Libertarians strongly oppose any government interference into their personal, family, and business decisions. Essentially, we believe all Americans should be free to live their lives and pursue their interests as they see fit as long as they do no harm to another.
Founded in 1971, we run many hundred of candidates every election cycle. These candidates seek positions ranging from City Council to President of the United States. Each of these candidates helps to give liberty a voice.
The Libertarian Option
Consider voting Libertarian or joining the Libertarian Party because…
- We seek to substantially reduce the size and intrusiveness of government and cut and eliminate taxes at every opportunity.
- We believe that peaceful, honest people should be able to offer their goods and services to willing consumers without inappropriate interference from government.
- We believe that peaceful, honest people should decide for themselves how to live their lives, without fear of criminal or civil penalties.
- We believe that government’s only responsibility, if any, should be protecting people from force and fraud.